It would never do to serve rotis with only salads – a semi-liquid side-dish is required. However, what if both can be combined? This no-oil healthy salad is very easy to make, and surprisingly, does not require another dish to compliment it.
- Black-eyed Peas – a Fistful
- Tomatoes – 2
- Carrot (grated) – 1/2 cup
- Cabbage (grated) – ½ cup
- Onions – 2
- Green Chillies – 2
- Salt – To taste
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – to Garnish
- Lemon – ½
- Soak the Black-eyed peas in water and let it stand for an hour.
- Pressure cook the peas with half a teaspoon of salt and in enough water to cover them
- After checking that the peas are fully cooked, drain the water and let them cool.
- Cut the tomatoes, onions and green chillies into very small pieces. Add the grated carrot and cabbage.
- Mix these ingredients with the boiled peas.
- Squeeze the lemon into the salad.
- Add salt, pepper, and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- If the peas haven’t been soaked already, they can be boiled in water and then pressure-cooked. About 2 whistles on high flame, and 5 whistles on the low flame does it.
- The peas should be soft enough to be mashed by hand.
- Other salad ingredients, like cucumber, beetroot, radish etc can also be added.